Monday 28 July 2008

Looking back at a (almost a)year(now) of almost full time coding

Tonight I had an epiphany, and so how much I have developed over the last year as a programmer.
I was looking at some screen shots I made in the beginning of the year as I was starting my first game project. I started this project with no idea how a game engine worked besides of the knowledge of a rasterizer in a game engine.

Some Screen shots of the early development of my space simulator game
This knowledge however gave me a little advantage though as I knew how the graphics pipeline worked. It did not however prepare me for the task of gameplay programming, which is basically the hart of everything. It connects the players input to all the other stuff that is going on like rendering of the scene and physics, to the event system that triggers doors and particle systems.

Some screen shots of the end results of my space simulator game
After this project came three others in the same time span that we had gotten for the first one. This was our very first decent taste of what life as a real game programmer would be like, and I can tell you it's though. Game programming is one of these professions which in the first year or two are not for the faint of harted.
In this second semester we had a Physcis/Network engine to write, do a team project (of which the actual specs came from a real studio, Blackrock Studios) and a shader and AI assignment.

Screenshots of the shader asignment
These four assignments let me learn a lot in managing my own time, doing multiple different tasks at the same time. And increased my coding knowledge and potential a lot.
So yeah after a year I am actually glad I decided to leave my own country and safety net and did this MSc. What I learned was that the game industry is a place where people have to work very hard, but it's also a very rewarding place to work. Imagine you squeezing just that last frame out of your code so your game will run at a constant 30fps, or getting the physics interaction of colliding objects just right so the game looks realistic. These are all techinical achievements which are good in reinforcing your own self esteem.
Then ofcourse there is the showing of to other people this is probably the most rewarding aspect of the whole job. Thats also the reason why I sneak in these pictures of my work. If you want to see more pictures and more details about the actual projects I have done or just want to see if the executables work on your machine go here, or follow the link to my portfolio site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its ok if the appearance of your blog is not good. The important thing is the topic or the content of your blog.